Monday, 1 July 2013

9 days lost...

I suppose you may be wondering what's happened to the final two weeks of my Bootcamp Pilates Beach Body Challenge?

If you read part 2 (here), you'll know that I'd been suffering with severe abdominal pain. I now realise that hadn't been severe - the severe bit was yet to come! On Tuesday 18th June, I was rushed back into hospital and diagnosed with appendicitis. They were so concerned I wasn't allowed to go home and was admitted to St. James' in Leeds for routine keyhole surgery the following day.

What followed wasn't so routine at all. Because my condition had been left for 9 days undiagnosed, my appendix was a mess - they found acute necrotic appendicitis - very bad infection, and my appendix had flattened and was partially attached to my bowel. This basically meant the surgeon had to open me up properly to remove the appendix and repair the join with the bowel. So major surgery in the end!

The day after the op I was surprisingly ok (anaesthetic, morphine and adrenaline might have had something to do with it ;) but this lulled me into a false sense of security that I was on the mend. How wrong I was.

Due to the severity of the infection, my body still had a massive fight to get better and I took a turn for the worst on Thursday 20th June. I'll spare you the gory details, but I was very poorly. I could not eat for the next five days (major problem for me!) and was on a cocktail of intravenous drips with painkillers, antibiotics, antisickness drugs and saline and glucose fluids.

Eventually I turned a corner on Monday 24th as the antibiotics started winning the fight against infection and I was finally allowed home on Wednesday 26th, after losing 9 days of my life in hospital.

1. Cannulas in my arm
2. Bandages post op and the snazzy surgical paper knickers!
3. Larking around even when ill - that sick bowl definitely had the last laugh though
4. My hospital companion Winnie
5. Kate Middleton in the bed opposite - my fiance constantly managing to cheer me up
6. The shark bite
7. Lovely thoughtful gifts sent from the girls at work - especially the Bride magazine wedding dress special. I had to miss my first wedding dress trial appointment when in hospital
8. Came home to bunting and a ridiculous amount of cards and flowers

I'm now home and slightly more sane, but still have a long recovery process after such a big operation. As you can imagine, for someone so sporty and active this is already frustrating and I still have four weeks off work to get back to strength - even getting up and having breakfast is exhausting!

So my body is going to take a little while to catch up, my mind of the other hand feels cleansed. I've had a lot of time to think in hospital, and been in a dark place in parts. It really has put a lot of things in perspective for me as I've recently become someone that has been very stressed out by work and some now seemingly small and insignificant things. I've been overwhelmed by the love and the well wishes I've received in the last two weeks, from my fiance who didn't miss a visiting time - twice a day everyday for nine days, to my parents and family, to all my amazing friends. It really has been a life changing experience for me leaving me with a new more positive outlook.

I'll obviously have a bit more time to blog over the next month so will keep you updated with my recovery and things I'll be doing to keep me occupied while I rest up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, I love reading them all and I do take the time to reply so make sure you pop back!